Director of Policy and Advocacy
Kids Win Missouri is looking for a dynamic and experienced leader in children’s policy who has a strong commitment to ensuring that Missouri’s public policy creates opportunities for all Missouri children and enables them to achieve their full potential.
About Kids Win Missouri
Formed in 2013 as the Missouri Children’s Leadership Council, the organization has quickly fostered a reputation as a respected and influential voice on children’s policy in Missouri. The organization rebranded as Kids Win Missouri in 2017. It is a non-partisan, statewide coalition comprised of 80 organizational members, representing diverse sectors including child welfare, early care and education, PK-12 education, child health and mental health and economic security for families. Its work in educating policymakers and the public and promoting the well-being of Missouri children has resulted in tens of millions of dollars of annual funding for education of at-risk pre-K students, the elimination of the waiting period for the Children’s Health Insurance Program, increasing access to quality early childhood education and protecting federal funding for critical children’s programs. An Executive Director and an active Board of Directors lead the coalition.
About the Position
The position includes paid vacation, sick days and health benefits. The annual salary for the position ranges from $60,000-65,000. Kids Win Missouri’s offices are located in St. Louis, however, the new Director of Policy and Advocacy can be located anywhere in Missouri. The Director of Policy and Advocacy reports to the Executive Director.
This is a full-time position that may, depending on where you reside in Missouri, involve extensive overnight travel during the months of January through May. Additionally, the position may require long days and nights during the months of January through May. Throughout the year, the position requires occasional overnight travel and some evening hours. From June through December, the position has flexible work hours.
As travel is necessary for the requirements of the position, the individual selected is expected to possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Physical demands of the position are typically those of a standard office environment, but also include working from non-office locations.
- Master’s Degree in Public Affairs, Social Work or a related degree preferred, Bachelor’s Degree required
- At least 5 years of experience in government affairs or advocacy
- Experience in coalition, partnership, grass tops and grass roots efforts
- Knowledge of Missouri’s political landscape desired
- Understanding of the impact of policy on children and their families
- Writes, speaks and listens effectively
- Takes initiative and solves problems
- Possesses interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse stakeholders
- Is flexible and willing to adapt in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Understands advocacy strategies and coalition/partnership work
Responsibilities and Duties
Advocacy and Lobbying
- Develop advocacy goals, strategies to achieve them and plans for evaluation
- Monitor and track legislation pertinent to child well-being issues
- Attend relevant committee or department meetings
- Testify at hearings, meet with policymakers and facilitate meetings with Kids Win Missouri stakeholders and policymakers
- Participate in coalition meetings on relevant issues
- Stay abreast of research on issues that impact children and their families and develop relationships with state and national experts
- Work to ensure there are timely, accurate and relevant materials that effectively support Kids Win Missouri’s education and advocacy efforts
- Participate in relevant state and national conferences and meetings
- Engage stakeholders on issues impacting child well-being in Missouri
- Present at organizational and community meetings on the work of the organization
- Recruit advocates to support the organization’s mission
- Represent the organization in media interviews on children’s policy matters
- Utilize social media to promote the organization’s work and keep stakeholders informed
- Facilitate regular communication with the organization’s stakeholders
- Working with the Executive Director, assist in the execution of the organization’s communication strategy
To apply, please email a cover letter that includes three reasons why you are the best candidate for this position, a resume and three references to Brian Schmidt at email@example.com by April 30, 2018.
Kids Win Missouri does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religious or political affiliation, disability or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.