Director of Outreach and Engagement
Kids Win Missouri is looking for a dynamic and experienced leader in public affairs that will work to support and amplify individuals’ and organizations’ voices on policy issues impacting children and youth in Missouri.
About Kids Win Missouri
Formed in 2013 as the Missouri Children’s Leadership Council, the organization has quickly fostered a reputation as a respected and influential voice on policies impacting children and families in Missouri. The organization rebranded as Kids Win Missouri in 2017.
Kids Win Missouri is a non-partisan, statewide coalition comprised of more than 100 members, representing child well-being practitioners and advocates that span fields including early childhood development, education, health, child safety and economic security of families. Its work in educating policymakers and the public and promoting the well-being of Missouri children has contributed to tens of millions of dollars of new annual funding for Pre-K education, the elimination of the waiting period for the Children’s Health Insurance Program, raising the age of adult prosecution, increasing access to quality early childhood education and protecting and securing additional federal funding for critical children’s programs. An Executive Director and an active Board of Directors lead the coalition.
About the Position
This is a full-time position that includes paid vacation, sick days and benefits. The annual salary for the position is $60,000. Kids Win Missouri’s offices are located in St. Louis, however, the new Director of Outreach and Engagement can be located anywhere in Missouri. The Director of Outreach and Engagement reports to the Executive Director.
The position requires regular overnight travel in Missouri throughout the year. At least once per year, the position requires attending a national conference in Washington D.C. As travel is necessary for the requirements of the position, the individual selected is expected to possess and maintain a valid driver’s license.
Physical demands of the position are typically those of a standard office environment, but also include working from non-office locations.
Responsibilities and Duties
Outreach and Engagement
- Develop and implement a comprehensive plan to grow and deepen Kids Win Missouri’s relationships with child well-being stakeholders.
- Educate key leaders and communities on the impacts of existing and proposed policies and gather feedback, insights and stories from families potentially or actually impacted.
- Assist individuals and families, communities, key leaders and stakeholders in disseminating information to target audiences.
- Recruit trusted messengers to deliver strategic messages to target audiences.
- Manage a statewide initiative focused on maintaining and expanding health coverage of children and their families, tracking and ensuring the project undertakes planned activities and achieves intended outcomes in a timely manner.
- Support the organization’s policy work by identifying new and emerging policy trends and helping to align the organization’s policy goals with the needs of stakeholders.
- Master’s Degree in Public Affairs, Social Work, Communication or a related degree preferred, Bachelor’s Degree required
- 5+ years of experience in public affairs and/or community outreach and engagement
- Knowledge of Missouri’s political landscape desired
- Experience working with coalitions and partnerships to achieve shared goals
- Able to develop and execute outreach and engagement strategies
- Writes, speaks and listens effectively
- Takes initiative and solves problems
- Possesses interpersonal skills and ability to work with diverse stakeholders
- Is flexible and willing to adapt in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Has strong organizational skills and ability to manage multiple projects
To apply, please email a cover letter that includes three reasons why you are the best candidate for this position and a resume to Brian Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled. Applications received on or before February 22, 2019 will receive priority consideration.
Kids Win Missouri does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, age, sex, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religious or political affiliation, disability or any other classification considered discriminatory under applicable law.